Saturday, February 03, 2007

Country 100% Icelandic Wool




The story behind this yarn:
I know an older woman who has one of the largest stashes in the land. Every year the local knitting guild has a yard sale where members can try to sell yarn they no longer want.
I always seem to walk out with this woman's stuff everytime. Heavy damage to the wallet yet even though I walk away with tons of yarn, I don't think I ever really make a dent in her stash.
This was one of those days. I had to have a total of 12 balls of icelandic wool for some reason. as you can see 6 balls are medium-light grey and the other 6 balls are a deep brown almost black. guessing that these are the natural colors off the sheep.
just took another peek at the labels: seems the yarn is made by Lopi. Could this yarn be Lopi from before Reynold's yarn acquired the name? what decade would that be? I think this yarn is older than I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see it's been about a year since you posted. You certainly cheered me up! I've said all sorts of things, my stash is nothing compared to the average person's shop..or garage for that matter, I'm like a painter, I need colours for inspiration, and why worry, someday I'll die and all my kids know how to run a front loader! Lopi yarn, well, my daughter is wearing a lace shawl knit for her in 1976, I can't get it off her, it won't shrink, it gets softer with each washing, if a worn item lasts that long your stash is safe. She rides a bike, ties it in knots around her.. it's going to outlive me.
Lopi yarn was sold in Canada like that, and the UK, a long time after Reynolds took it over in the USA. Interesting woman you buy from, have fun ..follow her around for yarn shopping some day.
I bought a glass front pie safe..a big one, and display my stash..I had to, it wouldn't fit anywhere else. People just think I sell yarn as a hobby. Thanks for sharing. Carol